It’s Fun. It’s Easy. It’s the Right Thing to Do.
LA JUNTA • ROCKY FORD • SWINK
What’s So Cool About Recycling?
- It Saves Energy.
- It takes far less energy to make products using recycled materials rather than virgin materials.
- And, yes, the energy it takes you to bring your bag to the curb is WAY less than the energy it took to bring your recyclables to one of our convenient Drop-Off Locations, as well. (We know you were thinking it!)
- It Saves Landfill Space & Taxpayer Money.
- Landfills are very expensive to build and maintain.
- According to the U.S. EPA, recycling (including composting) diverted 68 million tons of material away from landfills and incinerators in 2001, up from 34 million tons in 1990.
- It Creates Jobs and Promotes Economic Development.
- Incinerating 10,000 tons of waste creates one job; landfilling 10,000 tons of waste creates six jobs. Recycling 10,000 tons of waste creates 36+ jobs.
- Recycling creates 1.1 million U.S. jobs, $236 billion in gross annual sales and $37 billion in annual payrolls.
- Thousands of U.S. companies have saved millions of dollars through their voluntary recycling programs. They wouldn’t recycle if it didn’t make economic sense.
- See our page Why We Recycle for many more of recycling ‘s economic benefits and interesting facts!
- It Reduces the Use of Toxic Chemicals.
- Making products from already refined waste materials reduces — and often avoids altogether — the need for manufacturers to use toxic chemicals, essential when using virgin materials.
- It Reduces Dependence on Foreign Oil.
- The national recycling rate of 30 percent saves the equivalent of more than five billion gallons of gasoline, reducing dependence on foreign oil by 114 million barrels.
- It Saves Trees.
- Half the Earth’s forests are gone, and up to 95 percent of the original forest area in the U.S. has been cut down.